Author Topic: Jimmys CX bike help (post hijack master)  (Read 8911 times)

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
  • Do you even Endurrrooooo.!!
    • View Profile
Jimmys CX bike help (post hijack master)
« on: July 30, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »
Okay I'm considering doing some cross this year but need to fix up the bike and would like some recommendations with regards tyre choice and a few other bits.

I've put nearly 2300km on my cross bike since getting it and have treated it like a dirty little bit on the side with little to no maintenance. Think all Ive done is put a cheap 8 speed cassette and chain and a 10 euro BB on since getting it . Fecking thing still runs pretty well and keeps coming back for more  :P. Its held up a lot better than any MTB Ive ever had.

Anyway first off Ill need to get some new tyres as the ones I have are practically slick from use. Can anyone recommend good cross tyres ? I'm all confused regards size thread and everything. I'd like something with good grip durable and more on the value side of things than performance. So something cheap knobbly and strong and what size should I get ?

Ive also noticed that my rear brake only works from the top handle bar and when I pull it from the drop bars it doesnt seem to tension as much and looses braking power. Anyone encounter this before and have any suggestions before I pull it all apart ?

I need to get new chain rings also and have some cheap ones picked out so sorted there.

If I get all ready I'll see if I can race Rathfarnham but probably won't be ready on time byt ya never know.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmys CX bike help (post hijack master)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »
Some hijack jimmy.!  ;)

I have rocket ron's on my bike which have 840km on them acording to strava. Front is perfect, back is showing signs of wear but good for another while im sure.
I would recommond these tyres for racing and grip level.

As for the brakes, i dont know. Prob need new cables at this stage. Leave it into the shop or sell it and buy a new 2015 bike cheap in the sell off

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 11:09:01 AM »
Yeah I do like a good hijack ;)

Anyway will go for the Rocket Ron then but what size should I get ? 30c 38C 40c ? Is that width of them is it ?

There is no way I am buying a cross bike. I got this cheap and will only be partaking and using this as training for XC next year.

It weighs a ton but twill be grand in the B races. Ill drop it in and get it looked at after I pull it apart first right after a bottle of wine  :)

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »
but what size should I get ? 30c 38C 40c ? Is that width of them is it ?

There are sizes  :-[ I dont know, they came with the bike. I'll check whats on them.

I think you got pretty good used ofut of the cheap bike at 2300km. Time for an upgrade  ;)

Offline PaulC86

• Ex-imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 12:00:48 PM »
Yeah I do like a good hijack ;)

Anyway will go for the Rocket Ron then but what size should I get ? 30c 38C 40c ? Is that width of them is it ?

There is no way I am buying a cross bike. I got this cheap and will only be partaking and using this as training for XC next year.

It weighs a ton but twill be grand in the B races. Ill drop it in and get it looked at after I pull it apart first right after a bottle of wine  :)

38c on my CX bike. Do the job just lovely
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Jimmys CX bike help (post hijack master)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 12:21:08 PM »
It says 28x1.30 on mine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 12:37:52 PM »
It says 28x1.30 on mine

Okay now Im' confused  ???

The only new bike ill be buying won't be till next year when my BTW is on again

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 01:10:30 PM »
OKay there is much of a muchness between the two but my originals were 700 so ill stick with that.

Bike discount seems to have good value on a set of CONTINENTAL CycloX-King 35-622 wired so think ill go with them.

Back end of B races here i come   :)

Offline PaulC86

• Ex-imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 01:47:24 PM »
OKay there is much of a muchness between the two but my originals were 700 so ill stick with that.

Bike discount seems to have good value on a set of CONTINENTAL CycloX-King 35-622 wired so think ill go with them.

Back end of B races here i come   :)

they are all 700c. The other no. relates to the profile. They are all pretty much the same to be honest. Just make sure the knobs are pretty decent and your laughing
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Offline DaveyD

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Ex Goober
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 10:15:49 PM »

These are a great tyre at usually a great price, plenty of grip with them. I think I got 1 1/2 seasons from a set before, the most recent tyres I bought were 34c (The c is volume as in cc's) as far as I remember and Your only allowed 32c as per UCI rules but we've no need to worry, unless checked in champs!

Canti brakes can be a pain in the arse to setup but by the sounds of it you need new cables anyway so setting them up again should sort your braking issue's out.

Give us a shout if your stuck setting up brakes

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 09:37:47 AM »
Cheers Davey ill give it a lash first. The brakes are actually working grand if I use the top lever, its just when I use the lower one it doesnt seem to work so reckon the cable joining them must be loosened or something

Offline Col36

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 06:27:12 PM »
The 32, 33c etc. measurement is only nominal Jimmy. I've 33c and they actually measure 38mm. 33c (or 32c?) is the max UCI size permitted. This means that most manufacturers (and in turn, bike shops) make those available in Cx threads.

Other sizes can be hard to find and selection is generally s**te anyway unless you're looking for tubulars (another story altogether). Clearance is an important issue in Cx so don't get ones that are too big if you don't have great clearance at the forks and frame as they are like brakes-on all-time when the mud builds up. Thinner tyres generally work better in mud too, this goes for MTB too until you hit rocks/roots.

I used Clement PDX last year. They were expensive but worked great. Was also able to run them tubeless despite the fact they aren't supposed to be. In fact the sidewalls held up better then my MTB X-Kings.

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 10:38:03 PM »
Thanks lads some good advise there. Not sure if Ill make Rathfarnham but will see what I can do I do but plan and making the rest. Turns out the brake cable just needed tension so that's sorted now. Ill order the Conti for now and invest on the dearer ones if I actually like cross.

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 11:29:29 PM »
You have no chance if you don't sign up.

Commit jimmy.! The bike is sorted :-) Or are you just afraid of Jacko beating you :-)

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 11:49:08 PM »
Jacko could easily beat me on any given day ain't no shame in that my problem is getting herself home early enough from work to mind the baba, we're boggers, we don't have the luxury of parents around to mind them for a bit. I'll work on her this weekend with wine and loads of head rubbing and hopefully will convince her to leave early