Author Topic: Off Road Commission AGM  (Read 4462 times)

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile

Offline michaelc

• Ex-imbrc
    • View Profile
Re: Off Road Commission AGM
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »
Some mess of proposals there!
I have very little time to get to the gym, so I have to sculpt my guns at the office

Offline DaveyD

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Ex Goober
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:17:56 PM »
Some mess of proposals there!

Yeah, but some are quite good and badly needed i think.

Offline Jim Haide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »
Some are good but not sure about changing the format of nps. 

Cutting the no. of races is a bad idea.  Its true every second weekend can be difficult to make but 1/month will surely lead to less races probably 4 or 5 nps races in a season & you would only be able to miss one ie do 4 of 5 to count.  In my opinion more the current format while maybe a bit flawed is still better that the alternative.  If we have 6/7 races and you have to do 4/5 its fairer for all.  There a numerous reasons why someone could miss a race or 2 and if its changed to a smaller amount of races you're out of the league.  If people are finding it difficult to do races every 2nd week they could always skip 1 after 2/3 rounds and have a month which will refresh them.

Anyway, my rant over.  Would like to be there tomorrow but unfortunately (like most of the cx races this year and the 1st 2 rounds of last years nps) its clashing with Dee's college weekend so I'll be minding Julianne who definitely wouldn't sit quietly there.

PS If anyone's going can they collect my trophy?

Offline DaveyD

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Ex Goober
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 08:07:34 PM »
I had the same thoughts initially about monthly races too but then after thinking about it for a while I like it more as it would open up the season for different race series to fill the gaps, which might mean more commercially sponsored leagues/series.

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »
The NPS used to spread out....it would go from march/april to sept with prob 6/7 races. Some 3/4 weeks apart. I kind of like this as it meant you had a few weekends off to do other stuff.

In 2008 there were 4 K-capital races in march/april which were nearly bigger than the NPS and great races. Then i think there were 7 or even 8 NPS races with the last one in sept.

The change came a few years back when riders wanted a shorter condensed series so riders could keep their form up to the nationals....And this is where the XC season over in july came from. I can see both sides, form goes up and down so the current format is better for that.

It may hurt the NPS having it spread out as it could allow more competing to fill the gaps and thus pulling away riders and buring their funds.

Offline Jim Haide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:32:59 PM »
Yeah I can see both sides.  There is a possibility, like Paul says that if there is more races other than nps there is a danger that the numbers will be diluted and instead of strengthening xc it could be damaging, especially when enduro will also be there taking numbers.

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 10:08:41 PM »
Having an enduro the weekend after our nps in wicklow deffo affected the numbers at our race

Offline DaveyD

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Ex Goober
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
It may hurt the NPS having it spread out as it could allow more competing to fill the gaps and thus pulling away riders and buring their funds.

I agree, that is the big risk. But it will be down to the commission to make sure it remains worthwhile, as far as I saw this year there has already been a massive impact on xc due to the enduro series thats why I think some of the points made are quite good and will raise the bar for xc.

Offline S.Feeney

• Ex-imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 10:53:29 AM »
I'm heading down too.
I'll collect your award Jim.