Author Topic: Marathon Champs 26th Aug  (Read 10757 times)

Offline DaveyD

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Ex Goober
    • View Profile
Marathon Champs 26th Aug
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »
This is probably already up but I didnt see it, So Whos doing it? Date has been moved forward this year

http://www.offroadcyclingireland.ie/wordpress/category/xc/

Also I just read on FB that Team Ballyhoura have added 10K on to course  :-\
Thats gonna hurt! 75K in total

I did this last year for the first time and I didnt think it was a tough as Cooley thriller climbing wise, but its fast and that takes it out of you. Cooleys will be a good warm up event,

Offline michaelc

• Ex-imbrc
    • View Profile
Re: Marathon Champs 26th Aug
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »
Makes you wonder that an official event should have such and arbitary distance. I just checked the UCI rules and it says a XC Marathon needs to be between 80 and 100 kms long, maybe I'm reading the wrong rules...
I have very little time to get to the gym, so I have to sculpt my guns at the office

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »
Makes you wonder that an official event should have such and arbitary distance. I just checked the UCI rules and it says a XC Marathon needs to be between 80 and 100 kms long, maybe I'm reading the wrong rules...

Too short for ya Micky C..??

Offline michaelc

• Ex-imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:35:59 PM »
Too short for ya Micky C..??

I don't care about the actual distance but I love rules and regulations.
I have very little time to get to the gym, so I have to sculpt my guns at the office

Offline DaveyD

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Ex Goober
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »

I was sure I read before that it can be between 55 and 100K. Im sure the commissaries know the rules,  :D Otherwise James might have to give his Champs jersey back from last year!!

Offline Jim Haide

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
its getting closer to Michael C's distance- I heard through the grapevine its extended 75k now

Offline beoneten

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »
Hi folks, yes the marathon has been extended to 75km, but in fairness it doesn't feel that long. The route is slightly different this year from last year's race, to give the riders a chance to find their place in the race this year's start will take the riders on the public road for a fast downhill sprint into a gradual offroad climb and then some more tarmac descending, up a little fireroad into singletrack and past the Trail-Centre before entering the woods for the pre-lap. The pre-lap is a loop of 8.5 km (Munster XC Race Loop) that will bring the riders back past the trail-centre having climbed a little and descended a lot on singletrack and some natural trails with a few tricky features thrown in. Then it's off to do the race proper, this will take you on a tour of Ballyhoura giving you the very best of all the singletrack with the odd few off-trail excursions with a few kicker climbs and some natural trail and terrain until you meet the final descent to the Trail-Centre and the finish. There will be 3 water stations on the route so if you want bottles at these please bring them to sign on and place them in the boxes supplied. The last Lap cafe will provide much needed refreshments after the race, so if you are looking for a value for money race this year this is the one.

Cieran.
Team Ballyhoura.

Offline Joe J

• imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 10:27:23 PM »
Forgot to register for this  :-[. Registration closed at 6 today. tried tonight and regristation and payment went through.So if you hav'nt registered get the finger out!!!

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 12:05:11 AM »

Offline michaelc

• Ex-imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »
Registration closed at 6 today.

Oooops!

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
Registration closed at 6 today.

Oooops!

Your on the ball..!! There is always the mini marathon.... prob too short for you  ;)

Offline michaelc

• Ex-imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 10:37:42 PM »
It's either that or stay in bed...

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »
Remember to bring a spare mech hanger lads....you dont want to be stuck facing a 20km walk back to the start like i was last weekend...

Offline ColmK

• imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 12:27:48 PM »
Yet another race I cannot do because….……

The pre-register and pay a week or more before the event is inconvenient for some people.  I do not have easy internet access - nor do I want to forfeit money if for whatever reason I cannot make a race.

I don't understand it because the host club are missing out on income from last minute goobers like me. I have a valid Cycling Ireland license which states my race category so there is no issue with needing time to validate me.

Will not catch you on the trails,
Colm.

p.s. Hope ye enjoy yourselves, sounds like it’ll be fun.

Offline DaveyD

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Ex Goober
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 05:01:14 PM »
Yet another race I cannot do because….……

The pre-register and pay a week or more before the event is inconvenient for some people.  I do not have easy internet access - nor do I want to forfeit money if for whatever reason I cannot make a race.

I don't understand it because the host club are missing out on income from last minute goobers like me. I have a valid Cycling Ireland license which states my race category so there is no issue with needing time to validate me.

Will not catch you on the trails,
Colm.

p.s. Hope ye enjoy yourselves, sounds like it’ll be fun.

Couldn't agree with you more Colm, I thinks its ridiculous that you have to pay beforehand, Have you tried emailing the club to see if you can get a late entry? Might be worth a shot.