Author Topic: 2011 Marathon Champs  (Read 4688 times)

Offline Kran

• View Profile
2011 Marathon Champs
« on: August 20, 2011, 11:08:37 PM »
Hi folks, just in case ye were wondering about this years Marathon Champs here's a link to the website for the race. Online Reg is now open. The course has been picked out, its around 64km long and Coillte has made some nice changes to the trails in the last few months ad we'll also be using the best of the natural trails down there too. If ye have any questions just ask on our forum or Facebook page. Links are on the website.
http://www.wix.com/tballyhoura/tballyhoura

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Marathon Champs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 11:49:33 PM »

Offline Colt Seavers

• imbrc
  • Club Scrounger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:52:25 AM »
Well done to James well deserved win and great for the club.
Kevin 6th and Davie 22nd in the masters. Micko is the daddy vet follow by Joe and myself.
Fair play to ali for giving it a go today. I think he cramped up badly and pull out At the 38k feed station. Sure theres always next year.  :)
I enjoyed this one much more than the Cooley thriller. Some tough long climbs rewarded with some super fast single tracks. Legs went dead at 55k but I managed to keep cycle through it and finished with a bang >:(
If you want it, I can get it...!!

Offline DaveyD

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Ex Goober
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 09:24:25 AM »
Well done Aidan, you looked like you had a ball when you crossed the line :)

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 12:16:57 PM »
Some great results there lads....!! Well done.

Offline James

• Ex-imbrc
  • IMBRC DH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:39:20 PM »
Savage course, very well marked and we also had the reassurance of the GPS maps which meant you were never slowing down to work out the route.  Thankfully they used a lot more of the official trails than last year race so it wasn’t a slog.  My arms we hanging off me towards the end the sheer amount of singletrack. They even built new trails to get around the puddles. Organisation was spot on, I can’t praise it enough. 

As for my race I went for the slow and steady approach:-) Well I didn’t go bonkers at the start anyways.  I ended up with a small lead over Mark McGauley and the English guy Anthony White.  White got away after a while working with Ray who dropped back from the lead group.  In the end Ray blew again an I passed him in on his back in a ditch:-)  He caught back up and it was a sprint finish to the line, how cool was that.

I do gap jumps, Sam Hill does gap jumps, we have a lot in common!

Offline KornDuffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 10:04:58 PM »
Well done everyone who took part.

Offline alan d

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:29:08 AM »
Well done to all the lads for getten to the finish. Well done James that was a great win. I gave it my best shot but the legs gave out before the end :'( the up shot to that performance is that it won't take much to better it next year....bring it on!!!!  A job well done to the ballyhoura lads They put together a great event

Offline RoseG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 07:39:29 AM »
Yeah well done to everyone that made the effort to race! Making me feel very lazy! Great result for you James! Just remind me not to go on one of your spins in the future if you say the pace will be slow and steady!! That obviously means flat out for 60km with no stops for chat!! :(
RoseG