Author Topic: MADMTB present XC NPS 7: Route description  (Read 5301 times)

Offline Fergal

• View Profile
MADMTB present XC NPS 7: Route description
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:03:07 PM »
Ok racers
I don't have an overall distance as yet (I am a simple peasant without a Garmin)
and it got too dark on Wed eve to do a timed lap (we'll be doing on on Fri though) but the route goes a little like this:

Start off with a short flat blast sprint along a fireroad to loosen up the pack before pulling a left hander up the wide dirt path.
Pick your lines to roll along the hardpack and avoid the big rocks and then through the short section of singletrack with the big roots before popping out onto the next fireroad section and veering right.
This fireroad is going to be a dual-way affair (like Carlingford was).
On the lead-out it may seem long as it stretches off up towards the 3rock aerials but at race pace you won't be longing spinning along it, and you'll be glad of the regular pace after the intense and extensive singletrack beforehand.

Up to the crest of the hill with great views out to Dublin Bay when you lift your eyes for half a second before ripping right into T-Connector - a peaty path through thick gorse peppered with the odd big lump of granite or two.

Out of the peat and onto very fast hardpack with a series of small dips and rocky outcrops to test your speedy-tech skills.

Then into the winding and much favoured single track section: Rock n Roll.

2 new extensions have been added to this trail since the MAX-XC to add more challenge and variety in particular a short and very rooty section littered with rocks to force a careful consideration of line choice - or just power through the middle of it!!

Finally drop out of this never-ending trail and onto a hardpack path - tear across this then over the camel humps and climb up Spartacus - a really nice singletrack climb through a heavily wooded section.

Break right at the exit - 5 seconds to catch your breath - then another climb up a sandy rocky path with hardpack sections to get gain some traction and speed on.

At the top of the climb bear in left, over the hump, and through Bungle - a loosely wooded short singletrack section with nice flowing humps and turns.

A right then a left at the exit brings you back down the fireroad you came up - but it's at least twice as short because you are going downhill for half of it and you skip a large section of it because of the previous climb.

Stuff an energy gel into yourself and get that all that drink into you too because it's nothing but extensive full-concentration singletrack when you hop in left over the rock bridge and into the brand new Quack section.

Quack is a really long fun trail - faster and more open than previous singletrack sections but with some cheeky kickers, tight testing turns and swooping dips and chutes to keep your eyes wide open and your brain ticking overtime trying to calculate the fastest line through this forest trail.

Finally exit Quack and onto the fireroad you started on - turn right up the wide dirt path and that's one lap complete.

More detail re; times and distance soon...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:06:17 AM by Fergal »

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
Re: MADMTB present XC NPS 7: Route description
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:11:49 PM »
Sounds good fergal  ;D

Offline MarkK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 01:10:15 PM »
Rode it last night ... circa. 6.4klm.

Good fun. That looooooooooooooooooooooong climb up the fire road will be a pain but lots of fun on the single track.
follow me, I'm right behind you

Offline Fergal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:22:06 PM »
Updated map to get to the start field HERE
The other one was a longer route - this one looks better
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:00:30 PM by Dave »

Offline michaelc

• Ex-imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 06:55:44 PM »

Good course, well organised. Tag thing was cool if... we get accurate times!

I have very little time to get to the gym, so I have to sculpt my guns at the office

Offline Gar

• UBER Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 09:16:12 PM »
yeah Very good event

the timing chips are a must from now on i think.

Offline Ben

• View Profile
    • Spoke.ie
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 10:29:38 PM »
Great race, great course, great organisation.  Tons of singletrack, timing that works, enjoyed it.  Well done to all, good showing from the club with some savage results!

Results are now up on www.irishxcmtb.com and www.spoke.ie.

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 10:48:16 PM »
I agree...great course again from the MDA heads... Great day apart from gar telling me to F**K OFF every lap  ;D ;D

Offline Fergal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 09:29:02 AM »
hey Paul - lodge a complaint to the Commission and we'll disqualify him for that no problemo  ;)
thanks to all the IMBRC heads who raced - there was a lot of ye!
Ben should win a prize for the biggest grin as he came over the line

Offline Joe J

• imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 10:20:30 PM »
Ye great race!!! Still counting the bruises.
Great IMBRC results. Well done Rob and Dave.
Fair play Jim for going up to masters after one sports race.Thats progress!
Bad luck Corni 2 mecs out of 2 races, nasty.

Offline James

• Ex-imbrc
  • IMBRC DH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 01:01:21 PM »
Thanks to Mad for a great race.  The new single track to the finish had some cool sections in it.  I had a good ding dong with Gerry until I blew up.  Masters race looked very close, two groups about 10 seconds from each other.  Twin flow fireroad was a bit scary at times.   

Korny what is the story a puncture in this day and age, how could that happen with tubeless, you better be using tubeless!
I do gap jumps, Sam Hill does gap jumps, we have a lot in common!