Author Topic: New rear wheel or fixable ?  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
  • Do you even Endurrrooooo.!!
    • View Profile
New rear wheel or fixable ?
« on: November 21, 2013, 01:08:56 PM »
Alright lads just looking for some advise here please. I dinged my rear wheel which has just added to the bumps and ticks that it has taken over the last while . Im gutted as bought this wheel from CRC only 6 months ago. It was a Shimano XT Disc Hub Rear M756, DT Swiss - Workshop Only Spokes Competition Stainless DB Black 2mm-1.8mm, DT Swiss - Workshop Only Nipple Upgrade Brass Pro-lock Black Set Per Single Wheel(DH/FR/XC), Shimano XT Disc Hub Rear M756 32h Black 6-Bolt, Mavic XM819 MTB UST Rim 2013 32h Black and cost me 175 euro . The problem I have now is that due to the latest bang the wheel wont seal tubless anymore and air/sealant keeps leaking out once I get the wheel up to about 28psi and this is happening at different parts of the wheel.

I am wondering what would be best to do as the hubb is still perfect as are the spokes and nipples its just the rim I need to fix I think. Would a proper re truing of the wheel sort this out or is there somewhere I can take the wheel to get it re built with new rim or do I just have to bite the bullet and buy another wheel more suited to all mountain/ enduro ? Any help our advise would be appreciated, also if I have to buy a new one does anyone have any tips on how to hide bike purchases from the missus ? I only just bought new brakes so this has come at a really bad time

Offline garyr63

• imbrc
    • View Profile
Re: New rear wheel or fixable ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 02:25:47 PM »
It is worth trying to get it trued

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 02:55:04 PM »
any of the bike shops will rebuilt your wheel or they have a wheel builder they use

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:04:37 PM »
Cool thanks lads I had a bad experience with CSS as they lost my last wheel when I left it in. Might try elsewhere this time

Offline DaveyD

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Ex Goober
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »
Jimmy I'd bring it over to Robin, He'll tell you there and then If its worth you while fixing.

But to be honest you need to get a stronger rim for the riding your doing. I'd look for a decent set of factory built wheels, xmas pressie from the missus  ;) Or to yourself  >:(

Offline Col36

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 04:14:02 PM »
Yep, new rim. Truing won't fix the dent. Some dents can be straightened out but, alloy is soft, and only likes to be bent one way, once. I took a big dent out of a Mavic Kysrium last year. The alloy was scary soft but it was pefect afterwards. As strong as before? Not sure....I sold the bike :)

So if you can't fix the dent = new rim, maybe new spokes too because the length required for a different rim is longer/shorter. You might find yourself at 2/3 of the price of a complete Stans or Hope Pro on Stans Arch/Flow (what you should be using).

Keep in mind that a pair of the XT hubs are at most €75 on ebay, and unless serviced every few months, the bearings and cup/cones turn to s**te. So I wouldn't spend too much just trying to save them. They are nice and work well otherwise.

I've heard that Scott can build a good wheel??

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
Re: Re: New rear wheel or fixable ?
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 06:29:31 PM »
Yes think ill be utilizing the talents Scott possesses at some stage. Thanks for the advice lads

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
Re: Re: New rear wheel or fixable ?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 11:03:54 PM »
Update on this i did a little bending and got the wheel trued and she's sealing up again no problem real test will be tomorrow though but so far so good. Shop also changed bearings for me so Im gonna do some serious damage tomorrow in djouce. Oh ya :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2