Author Topic: Seal Skin Socks  (Read 7355 times)

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
  • Do you even Endurrrooooo.!!
    • View Profile
Seal Skin Socks
« on: November 07, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »
Whats the opinion on these lads ? has anybody got them before? are they any good ? Im reading mixed reports  :-\

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Seal Skin Socks
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 09:15:33 PM »
Ben has prob tried them before.

I have their winter gloves which are OK. They keep you dry on the snow spins but can take a while before the hands heat up

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
Re: Seal Skin Socks
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »
Ya Im looking at the socks, picked up waterproof gloves in Lidl or Aldi last year and they do the job perfect. Need something for the feet when the real winter hits, have the Shimano Gortext boots but you can never have enough insulation I reckon

Cheers Paul

Offline Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »
I have a few pairs Jimmy. I nearly wear them on all winter spins regardless of shoes. Combined with gore tex boots, they keep the feet nice and snug. I also wear them on the road bike and find they keep the feet from getting cold. I was one of those that used to ride with the same shoes and socks in winter as I did in the summer until one night I got that wet and cold my feet were red raw with the pain. Get them Jimmy. You'll thank yourself for the extra layer of comfort.

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 07:46:37 AM »
Sold  :)

Thanks a million Trevor

Offline Ben

• View Profile
    • Spoke.ie
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 02:53:33 PM »
Only just saw this, I am a huge fan and wear them virtually year round.  They are awesome although you need to wear a liner under them in my opinion, whether a light cycling sock in the "Summer" or a heavy duty one in the Winter.  Keep your feet dry but not insulated.  I wear them commuting and hiking too.

They have gone through several iterations and the latest ones in particular are great.  Light, thin and they work in all but submersion.  Don't go walking through rivers...

Offline RobK

• imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »
one of the best bit of kit I ever bought

Offline Jim Haide

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 05:39:46 PM »
I have a pair but haven't worn them in a while.. Like Ben said need to wear a thin liner also in my experience they're not good with well fitted shoes (like xc/road race shoe) as they are bulky and you'll end up cutting off the circulation

Offline craig_s

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »
I found them too bulky too, and when the water does get in it can't get out and you have a big bag of water on your feet!!

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »
I use over shoes endura mt500 which I find pretty good.  They keep the rain and wind chill away but no use if you step in water.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 10:30:50 PM »
I use over shoes endura mt500 which I find pretty good.  They keep the rain and wind chill away but no use if you step in water.

Sure no fear of you stepping in water in your front sitting room  :P

Thanks lads Im back to undecided now  ???

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 06:15:39 PM »
Buy everything :-)

Offline Col36

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
Good and bad in no particular order....

Great for keeping feet dry while flying through filthy puddles, which happens most of the time, even when its not raining. (Think Three Rock)

Not great for heavy rain where the water will run down the legs into them anyway, even if using long tights/leg warmers over the sock (water resistant leggings or not). Top hem/elastic is very loose fit. Not breathable.

Are bulky, do have to leave an XC shoe a bit looser to allow for this.

Aren't the warmest without a liner, but even if they do get wet the water seems to warm up a bit like a wetsuit would, which is more pleasant then say, a wool sock that gets a fresh splash of cold water every time you hit the next waterlogged section.

Thickness is decent though if you whack your ankle off the crank or pedal now and then.

Even one puddle can leave normal socks/feet soaked for the whole spin, especially if wearing a mesh vented XC shoe, they are good for preventing this IMO.

Take ages to dry out.

Despite any adverse comments above, I'll be wearing mine all winter ;) Just don't expect them to be foot submarines!  :)

Offline Jimmy Mr Excuses

• imbrc
  • UBER Member
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Seal Skin Socks
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 06:40:24 PM »
Ya ill think ill give them a go alright cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Col36

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »
Think mine were €36 in 53deg north (local to me), but I've seen them for much cheaper since. CRC have a 10% coupon on €99 spend if you need anything else at the moment.