Author Topic: Thieves using strava  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
Re: Thieves using strava
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 10:42:44 AM »
Good info dave

Always make sure you have the privacy blackout around your home set

Offline capnsantini

• imbrc
  • Club Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
Here are a few others things you can do too: 

Even if you have the enhanced privacy setting, ie "Request to Follow", it'sworth bearing in mind that there are still ways that people can see your individual activities.  One is through clubs.  You'll notice that if you are a member of the IMBRC club on Strava, that you can look at the most recent activities of all club members, even those who are "Request to Follow" and who you don't follow.  Not an issue for IMBRC as there are nothing but sound lads and ladies allowed in, but lots of people might list other clubs with less strict membership without knowing that anyone in that group can see their activities.  Maybe some of you are part of a Strava Boards club or work club or, gulp, a triathlon club, who knows but it's worth keeping in mind.

Also, as much as I like the FlyBy feature, I have only recently realized that anyone who passes you can view your full individual activity on which they passed you, again, even if you are "Request to Follow" and they don't follow you.  In your privacy settings you can make it so that either everybody can see you on flybys or nobody.  No in between on this one so I personally opt for the nobody.  Could also be handy for safely navigating some of your sneaky enduro snake sessions!

Also bear in mind that from the leaderboards, you can view the individual activity where someone's best time was set by clicking on the date (not their name).  Not much you can do about this without losing the whole social point of Strava, just another reason to be sure to have your blackout area set correctly.

It's also probably worth culling people who follow you.  Obviously if you know who someone is then no problemo, but you'll probably find you have picked up a few stragglers who you don't really know or need following you, likewise many people have stopped using their accounts for what ever reason but by having them still follow you, you are leaving a back door open through their dead account.

Finally, if you don't have "Request to Follow", it's probably not a good idea to broadcast to the whole world that you are away on a training camp in Mallorca and that your house is empty....

Offline DaveyD

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Ex Goober
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 07:25:35 PM »
Great stuff Patrick,
that's the best feedback I've read ........ EVER,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 09:26:09 PM »
Good stuff Patrick.  Great tips :-)

Just to note,  nobody gets into the club group unless they are members and I know them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Offline capnsantini

• imbrc
  • Club Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 10:30:01 PM »
I know Paul, I'm not worried about our club but was just pointing it out for people who are members of other Strava clubs (which might have an open door policy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk