Author Topic: The Bull Raid 2011  (Read 4822 times)

Offline maloneydarragh

• View Profile
The Bull Raid 2011
« on: June 06, 2011, 02:22:56 PM »

Set in the grounds of Bellurgan Park Estate in County Louth, Ireland's 12 hour Mountain Bike Race returns on Saturday 6th August. This event was designed for mountain bikers to have fun, be competitive and provide an endless supply of great memories! No matter the level (beginner to expert) it is there for you.

Having just held round one of the Irish XC NPS series, with over 300 entries, it is the perfect venue for a 12 mountain bike race. A very dedicated team of trail builders created some single track heaven, hand carved in ancient broad leaf forrest. For this event, the NPS trail increases to make a 10km lap

All new for 2011 ‘The Half Bull 6hr’ - The original ‘Full Bull 12hr’ retains it’s winning format for 2011. The Half Bull will be on the same course as the 12hr with the same format except for a 1.30pm start. Finish time is 7.30pm same as the main race. The start time has been brought forward by 30mins from 2010 to 7.30am.  It was getting a bit spooky in the woods last year for the last lap.

12hr Format
Solo, 2 or 4 person teams
Male, Female or Mixed
12 hrs non stop
7.30am to 7.30pm

6hr Format
1.30pm to 7.30pm
Solo and pairs.

Most laps wins
For team Categories – Each raider must complete 2 laps
10k loop, top raiders will cover this in 40 mins, mortals should allow upto 1.5hrs.
In order to have all raiders off the couse for 9pm you must start your last lap before 7.30pm
If you cross the Start/Finish line before 7.30pm you may start your last lap. If at or after 7.30pm you will be called in.
You must finish your last lap before 9.30 for it to count.
The faster time for equal number of laps wins.
You may leave the course for a mechanical or first aid but you must return to the course at the point you left it.
There is no limt to the amount of  kit you use ie, bikes and wheels etc. But it must all fit within your 2.5mx2.5m plot in the pits.

The recent XC race loop will form part of the course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8W4yAwVt4&feature=player_embedded

GETTING THERE AND AWAY

By Plane:
Fly into either Dublin or Belfast airports. 40mins from Dublin Airport North up the M1 Motorway. 70 mins from Belfast Airport. Head South to the M1 motorway.

By Car:
Take the Exit 18 for Carlingford off the M1. Head for Carlingford. Over the Flurry River (brown sign) past the 80k speed sign. The road narrows and there are trees on your left. There will be an MTB XC sign at white gates. Turn in there. Only 5mins or so from M1.

Catering
There will be a selection of food available at the race food stall, as well as tea & coffee. The food stall will be located in the hub of things. More details coming soon! The Brew Crew hopefully be on site also.

Hot food available from 7:00pm Friday evening.  Finisher BBQ from 8.30pm Saturday evening
*BBQ may operate 2:30pm for lunch. TBC

CAMPING

On Estate Land
Camping on Park land will be open from 4pm on Friday and will be free of charge to competitors. Please set up camp where instructed by the marshals to do so. And please do not set up your camp underneath or near any trees in the camping area. Some of them drop branches and are potentially very dangerous!

MEDIA
A video account of last years race by Molly Stack shows how the Bikedock Belles got on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFGWmS3qsE

FURTHER INFORMATION

For the latest info on the event head on over to: http://twelvehourmountainbikerace.wordpress.com

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
Re: The Bull Raid 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:25:21 PM »
Whos doing the Bull Raid this weekend..?

The Greg is doing the 12hour solo....savage.!!

Offline LACO

• Ex-imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
Iam gonna do that as well  :)

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 08:33:02 PM »
good man laco.... which one are you doing?

Offline LACO

• Ex-imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:51:36 PM »
12 hours solo what else  >:(

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »
Legend Laco...!!!  8)

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:52:07 PM »
Good luck tomorrow lads...!

Offline Paul

• imbrc
  • SUPER UBER Member
  • Club Gofor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
so how did you all get on...?

Offline Greg

• Ex-imbrc
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 06:28:30 PM »
Arek and msyelf drove up on fri evening to sign on, pitch tent and canopy then disasembled canopy because i forgot the the canvas cover :-[ We were stuffing our faces with the free pasta when we bumped into Laco who was getting hungry too.

Sat morning 07:30 start for Laco and myself and all 12hr racers, weather was warm sunny course nice and dry. I started off slow and kept a pace i felt i could keep up for a week, was enjoying it so much didnt feel the time go, stopping in the pit on every lap to refuel where Arek was on the ball with bottles,gels, mechanicals and even taking flies out of eyes for me.

13:30 Arek and all the 6hr racers started.The course started to get a lot of wear now and with a light rain shower it got a bit more trickier in sections.One section was a double track through a few acre's of crop waist high with barely enough room to fit the handlebars but this open up a bit after the 13:30 race, it was super fast and surreal, a rare expierience and a real treat.

I could talk all day about the different sections but im not going too  :P
After 10 hours my back was hurting so sat down in the pit and it just cramped up for a few hours, game over. I was disapointed about this because my legs were still strong and i was having a ball, but with a road race tue and the NPS next sun I knew it was best not to push it and end up doing damage to myself.

I didnt see Arek or Laco until 19:30 ish, they rode without stopping  8)  savages!.
Free Beer when you returned your race chip and free bbq too for the riders.

Results here for 12hr http://chipit.ie/admin/admin/editor.php?action=read&id=296

Results here for 6hr http://chipit.ie/admin/admin/editor.php?action=read&id=294

It was one of my favourite races this season, course was fantastic so many different types of sections kept the 11km lap interesting all the way through.